- When should I contact a moving/removals company to organize my pending international move?
Advance preparation is the most important factor in a successful and stress free international move. You should begin your search for a suitable moving company to carry out your move 5-7 weeks before your intending moving date. This will allow time to competitive quotations, make all arrangements, and organize transport e.t.c.
- What system is there for quality rating of international removal companies
- Transit mode combinations for your removals shipment.
- When should I contact a moving/removals company to organize my pending international move?
- What system is there for quality rating of international removal companies?
- Who will provide delivery services at destination?
- How do I determine the level of protection that is required for my belongings in an international move?
- What items should I not include in an international household goods shipment?
- Are all charges included in the price?
- How do I find up-to-date information, regarding customs regulations and documentation?
- When do I pay?
- Do you provide storage?
- How much notice must I give to book a date for packing?
- What advice can you give me on how to plan for my international move?
- What will the removals estimator tell me when he visits my home to access the cost of my overseas move?
- Can I pass myself?
- What are the different cost/service options available for me?
- Is it cheaper to ship certain items rather than sell them and replace them at my destination?
- How can I pay?
- Who do I contact on arrival overseas to find out about the status of my shipment?
If you have a question that does not appear here, please feel free to a complete our Ask a question form.
- It is important that you check out the background and credentials of the companies who quote on your international move. It’s vital to ensure that your chosen removal company has relevant experience and has appropriate links with foreign movers as it’s the foreign mover who will provide the delivery services on arrival of your shipment.
- Our overseas offices and agents will provide services and expertise in the following areas:-
- Notification of arrival of your shipment
- Customs clearance and documentation procedures at the airport/port of arrival.
- Transport from the destination port/airport of arrival to your new residence.
- Temporary or long term storage if required.
- Delivery to residence.
- Full unpacking services
- Removal of all related packing debris.
- In this aspect, you are required to think about what it would cost to replace your household goods and personal effect in the country of destination. A good source of information will be the local press in that country especially in regard to high value items such as motor vehicles et.c. The cost of living data may also be obtained from that country’s embassy. When completing your proposal form please be detailed as possible. Remember to include specific individual items that have a high replacement value.
- It is not advisable to include perishable food stuff of any description, or liquids (which may leak while in transit causing damage to other items. Your shipment may be in transit for anything between 2 days and 3 months for long intercontinental transits. Do not overload items or fill the car up to the roof with odds and ends as it any damage the suspension.
You should not include the following:-
- Hazardous materials such as paint, matches, aerosol cans, gas canisters or other flammable materials such as wood, bricks, cement, rocks and soils of any kind.
- Firearms and ammunition
- Plants of any kind.
- Corrosives and explosives
- Pornography of any description.
- Others include batteries, explosives, fireworks, corrosives, performs, pressurized or unpressurised cylinders/canisters and/or similar type containers, firearms and ammunition, radioactive materials, paint, fuel and/or fuel tanks or other flammable items.
- If you book your shipment as a door-to-door move, then all charges including customs clearance charges, and local delivery to your residence (with normal access, not above first floor level) will be included in the estimate that is given to you. However, you will still be responsible for any duty or tax that is raised on your shipment by customs authorities. In some countries such as South Africa and Zimbabwe port charges are assessed on declared value of the goods. This charge is therefore not included in the door to door estimate that we provide you, and it will need to be paid at destination directly to our overseas office or agent. Please advise us if there are special challenges that may apply to your delivery, or if access is abnormal, or delivery is above the first floor.
- If your shipment is booked door-to-port only, then all destination charges are payable locally on arrival, including customs clearance, port services, unloading and local delivery charges. The various names applied to these charges may vary from country to country and service to service, but basically cover unloading from the ship/aircraft that your goods are carried on, unloading from the steamship line or airline cargo container, handling in and out of destination warehouse, and local delivery to your residence, with normal access.
- Customs regulations and procedures are unfortunately subject to frequent changes. And regrettably so, such changes are not always publicized. We endevour to provide the most up-to-date customs information available, from a wide variety of different sources, including customs services themselves, industry, trade association, the internet and a wide variety of other sources. Nevertheless, it is impossible to guarantee the accuracy of the information provided as customs rules and regulations, together with duty and tax rates, documentation and forms, can and do, change overnight.
- We endeavor to supply all the relevant forms required. Nevertheless, it is the individuals’ responsibility to ensure that they have the correct documentation for their personal situation.
- Yes, both at the point of origin and at the destination. If you require storage we offer discounted rates for consignment we are shipping overseas. We are able to offer highly competitive rates to suit individual requirements.
- We recommend that you give a minimum of 1 week notice although if this may not be possible we will endevour to meet your requirements. Ideally, as soon as you know when you want to move, confirm the dates with us.
- There is absolutely no substitute for planning and preparation as soon as you have confirmed your overseas relocation, contact us. Think about separating all the items that you will need to sell, stores, dispose of, give away and those that you will want to move by sea, have sent by air cargo or delivered to another family member before your departure. It’s ideal to have researched these categories before our estimator visits you to survey your household goods and personal effects.
- As you approach moving day, think about which items you will need for your journey, specifically travel papers, immediate clothing, passports, medical documentation and records, family papers, medicines, school reports, valuables etc. Intime Freight & Cargo Services Ltd can provide a host of host country information including destination guides and country facts sheets, together with detailed customs rules, regulations and procedures.
- We will advise you on all aspects of your move. We are fully equipped with the latest removals estimating tools, which make estimates more accurate and give you automatically a full print out of the inventory. This gives you the opportunity to hand pick the items that you must take and leave behind those that you don’t really need. We can further advise on the following options: route and transport options and costs, packing requirements, crating, transit times, shipment protection, unpacking, customs requirements and storage at origin or destination.
NB: Customs rules, regulations and procedures change on a frequent basis and unfortunately they are not always communicated to us by customs.
We will discuss in details the different shipping/airfreight option available to your overseas destination and will make an estimate of the volume and if possible the weight of your consignment. We will also discuss the various paper work and customs documentation required. We will provide you information regarding our office or agent who will deliver your possessions from the port of arrival to your new residence overseas, together with general advice on your move.
- For clients wishing to pack their household goods by themselves, we will provide you with all the materials you needs. We however recommend that you take advantage of our professional packing service.
- We employ highly qualified and experienced staff to perform this skilled task. Some of our clients often wish to pack a few personal items themselves. Cartons and packing materials can be delivered to you in advance of the removal so that this can be done at your leisure.
- When moving overseas you have a number of service options available to you. You may select on the service that you need based on the price, transit, time, method of containerization, routing, consolidation, opportunities, sea or air freight port of exit etc. Each option determines the amount you will be required to pay.
- It is advisable to choose the most direct route with a minimum amount of handling. However, every move and personal budget is different so it’s important that you discuss fully with our removals and relocations team to determine the best service to meet your personal needs.
Note that when calculating the cost of your international move, you should be aware of the total cost including the amount of time you will have to wait for the arrival of your goods at destination. If you are going to stay in a hotel or other temporary housing until your household items arrives, you will need to consider these costs as well as the cost of the shipping charges.
There are several factors which help determine which is best options, such as the value of the goods at the point of origin, their size and the overall volume of your shipment. Our representatives will be pleased to offer your guidance.
- We accept payment by Cheque, Bank Draft and Bank Transfer. Cheque payments require a clearance period and are not recommended for airfreight.
- All details of your shipment will be available to you as soon as possible after packing. We operate the latest computer systems giving up-to-date status reports and shipping documents at the touch of a button. We can advise you by phone, fax or email of these details. When you move with Intime Freight & Cargo Services Ltd, we guarantee the provision of full information and details on how to contact our office or agent in the destination country you are moving to. However, normally you won’t need to do anything, we will have pre-alerted our agent and they will contact you upon your arrival